Research Senior Manager
- Location: Bamako, Mali
- Department of Research Monitoring & Evaluation
- Supervised by: Director of Research Monitoring & Evaluation
- Supervise: Research Managers
Muso believes no one should die waiting for health care. That’s why we’ve set out to create a cure for delay. We build health systems to save lives by reaching patients faster, within hours of the moment they become sick. To do this, we partner with communities facing extreme poverty.
Muso has spent more than a decade creating and improving our Proactive Care model, preparing it to serve the global effort for universal health care. We have documented rapid health improvements across the populations we serve: a 2018 study found that communities we serve in Mali, which previously saw some of the world’s highest child mortality rates, sustained child mortality rates lower than any country in sub-Saharan Africa for five years, and ultimately reached a rate on par with that of the United States. Patient access to care increased tenfold. Muso now serves the governments of Mali and Cote d’Ivoire in their efforts to translate the results of this research into national policy and practice.
We provide proactive health care to 350,000 patients in peri-urban and rural Mali, and embed rigorous academic research and strategic advocacy to identify and share strategies that can accelerate global efforts for child survival, maternal health, and universal health care. Given the transformations in health care access and survival Muso has documented, over the next five years our direct service, research, and advocacy will work to advance a new global model for health care. Learn more about our work at www.musohealth.org.
- Assists the Director of Research Monitoring & Evaluation in the creation and implementation of the overall strategic research agenda for Muso, including future research directions.
- Leads the creation of annual plans and budgets for the research portfolio of the Department of Research Monitoring & Evaluation, aligned with long-term strategic goals.
- Builds, leads and supervises a team of research study investigators and data managers to ensure quality and alignment across the entire research portfolio.
- Tracks progress of the research team to deliver on its goals and priorities, adjusting plans and budgets as needed to achieve overall strategy.
- Supports growth of the research team through mentorship, supervision, feedback, and identifying and advocating for professional development opportunities for team members. Provides supervision and mentorship through at least weekly check-ins with direct reports.
- Oversees all research study implementation, sampling, tool development, data collection, and data quality assurance, at various field sites.
- Contributes to high-impact data analysis, interpretation of results and paper writing.
- Identifies and participates in opportunities for dissemination of research findings to local, national, global audiences at academic, practitioner or policymaker conferences and meetings.
- Assists the Development team in identifying, writing, and reporting on applications for research-specific grants.
- Collaborates closely with other departments to integrate research priorities and results into organizational practice, technical assistance and advocacy.
- Monitors spend-down of the research budget, identifying opportunities for cost-savings as well as unanticipated costs that require further mobilization of funds.
- Ensures the administrative functioning of the research portfolio, with the help of the Research Managers & Assistants.
- Fosters relationships with external research collaborators, including technology developers, government partners, data analysts and academics, ensuring meaningful consultation and accountability.
- Works in tandem with other members of the Department of Research Monitoring & Evaluation, notably the Monitoring & Evaluation Senior Manager and Data Scientist to ensure integration and coordination across research, monitoring and evaluation, data operations and analytics.
You need to have
- Master’s in public health, epidemiology, demography, or equivalent plus 3+ years professional work experience in a similar role OR 5+ years professional work experience in health systems research, with progressively increasing responsibility.
- Expertise in study designs to assess the effects of health system or complex public health interventions and implementation strategies, including randomized controlled trials, non-randomized controlled trials, controlled before-and-after studies, interrupted time series and repeated measures studies.
- Proven ability to think through all elements of such a study, from conception through to dissemination.
- Proven ability to write and execute a plan for research study data collection, management, statistical analysis, and secure storage.
- Professional experience in conducting data management and analysis using Stata (or other equivalent statistical software PLUS ability and willingness to learn and use Stata on the job).
- Experience with writing study protocols, ethical committee applications, grants, and manuscripts in English or French.
- Exemplary doer-manager with a proven ability to simultaneously (a) take ownership and responsibility over an independent portfolio as well as (b) manage a team of people in order to set and meet deadlines and achieve goals – while balancing the need to be responsive and adaptable to the unexpected.
- Demonstrates an awareness of, and regularly applies in a professional context, best practices in time management, supportive supervision, and effective communication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills in English & French.
- Demonstrated commitment to healthcare as a human right and social justice.
You will impress us if you have
- Experience in training and building capacity among other researchers.
- Experience collaborating with governmental partners in designing, conducting, and disseminating joint research.
- Experience with designing and testing electronic data collection tools.
- Experience in performing data extractions and with using relational databases (e.g. Postgresql, Google BigQuery).
- Experience with collecting, organising, and analysing qualitative data (e.g. key-informant interviews).
How to apply
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com with subject line “Research Senior Manager“. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The application deadline is rolling, but interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Muso is an equal opportunity employer.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org