HUMMING BIRD RESOURCES
Junior Project Engineer – Underground Gold Mining – 6 Month Fixed Term Contract
As a Junior Project Engineer in Underground Gold Mining, you will play a crucial role in supporting engineering and project management activities for the project development within the mining operation. You will work closely with senior engineers, project managers and all other departments to contribute to the planning, execution, and optimization of various projects related to underground gold mining.
This position’s primary focus is aiding and assisting with the delivery of the Project Development Phase of the Underground Mine Development. This includes the electrical systems, dewatering, ventilation, etc. The mining aspect is currently a secondary priority for this position but there will be a large amount of interaction between Mining and Projects. You will need to spend time underground, at the face dealing with mining issues as well as the main focus of the project development and implementation to allow for the mining to continue.
This is an excellent opportunity for a newly qualified or junior engineer to obtain exposure to all engineering disciplines including mechanical, electrical, limited civil and structural, geotechnical, pumping and piping, and then mining too, without having to already have detailed knowledge and experience in any particular discipline.
Attention to detail, meticulous record keeping, and a persistent nature are required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Project Planning and Coordination:
- Assist in the development and execution of project plans for the development of the underground mine and mining operations.
- Collaborate with senior engineers to coordinate project activities, ensuring timely completion within budgetary constraints.
- Cradle to Grave approach is critical, non-negotiable requirement. Tracking of procurement packages from enquiry through adjudication, approval, purchasing, accounts, manufacture, logistics, receipt on site and then installation and commissioning.
- Coordination between Project and Mining Teams and functions.
- You may be required to visit manufactures / suppliers of equipment and materials to perform basic QAQC inspections as well as expediting.
- Provide technical support to both the project team as well as mining teams on engineering aspects of the various packages. Liaising with the suppliers to find answers or solutions where not known.
- Work with senior engineers to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues that may arise during the project implementation. You will be exposed to all disciplines – mechanical, electrical, limited civil and structural, geotechnical, pumping and piping, and then mining too.
- Work with senior engineers to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues that may arise during mining operations.
Data Analysis and Reporting:
- Record keeping and tracking of progress of the above-mentioned procurement packages.
- Collect and analyse data related to mining activities, production rates, and equipment performance.
- Prepare reports and presentations summarizing key project metrics and performance indicators.
Safety and Environmental Compliance:
- Support the Safety Specialist with the gathering of information as well as the implementation of safety initiatives.
- Assist in the development and enforcement of safety protocols and environmental compliance measures.
- Participate in safety audits and inspections to ensure adherence to safety standards.
Cost Control and Budgeting:
- Contribute to the development and monitoring of project budgets.
- Assist in identifying cost-saving opportunities and optimizing resource utilization.
- Track costs against budget and / or against approved orders, sub-budgets, and so forth.
- Work with the maintenance team to ensure proper maintenance and functionality of mining equipment.
- Assist in coordinating equipment procurement and deployment for mining projects.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including geologists, mining engineers, and environmental specialists.
- Communicate project updates and key milestones to project stakeholders.
The above list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. You may be called upon at any time to assist the Project and Mining Teams with ad-hoc tasks as required.
Knowledge / Skills & Competencies:
- Good working and user knowledge of MS Office – Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Eagerness to learn and adapt to new challenges.
- Basic understanding of safety and environmental regulations in the mining and / or engineering industry.
- Advantageous but not requirements:
- Knowledge of MS Project.
- Familiarity with mining software and tools for data analysis.
Training / Education requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (BSc or BTec) in an Engineering discipline Mechanical or Civil preferred but Electrical or Mining Engineering would also be considered.
- Participate in training programs and professional development opportunities to enhance technical and project management skills.
- Seek mentorship from senior engineers to gain valuable industry insights and knowledge.
- English fluent – written and ability to read English particularly.
- French would be advantageous but not critical.
- Site based – 8 weeks on site, 4 weeks at home.
During your time off site, every effort is made not to disturb your leave, but you will be expected to keep your laptop with you if you are travelling, in case of an urgent need for information from you whilst away.
Note: The responsibilities and qualifications outlined above are general guidelines and may be adjusted based on the specific requirements of the mining company and the projects involved. Junior project engineers typically work under the guidance of experienced engineers and project managers, contributing to the overall success of mining projects.
Pour postuler à cette offre d’emploi veuillez visiter hummingbirdresources.bamboohr.com.